Mrs. Haehl

Mrs.+Haehl

Grace Clevenger

1. How long have you been teaching?

I am currently in my 10th year teaching. 

2. What subject would you rather teach instead of math?

There is no subject better than MATH! 

BUT, if I had to choose something other than Math, it would definitely be art. 

3. Do you have kids?

I have two boys, Carter 10, and Camden 9. They keep us super busy with all their extracurricular activities,  but we LOVE it!!!

4. Where would you like to travel?

My husband asks me this all the time, and there are so many places I want to travel to. 

Here are my top 5 places I have never been…

• Martha’s Vineyard
  • European Tour of France, Germany, Italy, England, Scotland. 
  • Hawaii (Pearl Harbor)
  • Dominican Republic 
  • Outer Banks (Yes, I watched the show)

However, Walt Disney World is the most magical place on Earth!!!

5. Do you have any pets? 

We have a dog, named Dexter. He is a teddy bear mix, which is a cross between the Shih Tzu and the Bichon Frise.

6. What lesson would you like your students to remember?

All of them!!!! Honestly,  if I wanted my students to remember one lesson, it would be the one we do over being kind to everyone. I want my students to realize that life is full of lessons, not just directly from the subject you are learning.

7. Have you always taught 8th grade?

No, I started my teaching career at Defeated Elementary teaching 4th grade. (It was wonderful.) I then transferred to Lafayette Elementary where I taught 5th grade for 3 ½ years, before coming to Macon County Junior High, I finished out the remaining year teaching 6th grade English. I then went to 8th grade Math the following year and have been here since! 

8. What motivated you to start teaching? 

I can’t say that I have always wanted to be a teacher, because that has not always been the case. I wanted to work in retail fashion design which I did for a long time. I lived in Atlanta and absolutely loved it. It was long hours but great money. However, I soon realized my love for fashion didn’t outweigh my love for my family. So, that is when I decided to go back to school to be a teacher, and also have a job closer to home. I would have to say the love for my kids and family and letting them experience the way I grew up in a small town is what motivated me the most in becoming a teacher.

On the other hand, what keeps me motivated as a teacher is interacting with students, the relationships you make, and the learning process in itself. Sometimes it isn’t what is in the textbook that has the most impact, it is how you make your students feel.