Landon Duffer: A Story to Remember

Landon+Duffer%3A+A+Story+to+Remember

Noah Hansen, School Events Editor

Landon Duffer is a 13-year-old boy in 6th grade. He and his family experienced a house fire that burnt their house down. They are what we call “true survivors.” They are a family that can go through a lot and comes out punching which is a rare thing.

Trying not to make the questions too personal, I asked how¬† his house burned down. The response I got was, “The chandelier in our kitchen had 2 bare wires spark together.”

There are 5,100 fires that are classified as electrical fires each year. 500 deaths, more than 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage are credited to these fires every year. Many people lose their houses, pets, and loved ones due to fire.

I asked Landon what they did next, and he said, “We went to the hospital…It was a sad thing for me and my family. My mom, my two brothers, my sister, and I were all in the home when it happened.”

When asked about injuries, he responded, “We all had carbon monoxide poisoning.” For those who don’t know, carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous, colorless, odorless, and tasteless glass. 430 people, at the minimum, die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning.

We admire our fellow classmate’s bravery and appreciate learning a little more about his survival story. We are all so glad you’re okay!